Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Thursday August 4th (day 36/365)

Phoebe's new daycare gives out "incident reports" whenever a kid gets hurt so that the parents are kept informed.  In her first three days, the munchkin racked up two.  I can assure you, this does not reflect on the daycare so much as it reflects on the absolutely crazy, fearless and mother-heart-attack-inducing behavior of my child.  Seriously.  Phoebe is nuts!  She has no fear and she has not met a toy/piece of furniture/household appliance that she does not want to climb and then fling herself off of.  Jeremy and I joked with the teachers in Phoebe's room that they should just collect all of her incident reports in a binder and we could sign them in batches (the teachers managed some polite smiles, but I think they had heard that joke before)

This afternoon I got a call from daycare letting me know that Phoebe had flung herself face-first off of a toy onto the floor and had bumped her head.  It was just a courtesy call to let me know that a MAJOR injury had been sustained, but I decided to go pick her up early anyway.  Before I left my office I Googled "infant head injury" which was just a really really poor decision on my part.  We have a "no Googling baby symptoms" rule at our house for a reason.  I worked myself into quite the flurry of worry.  When I got to daycare, I could hear Phoebe screaming down the hall, so I immediately assumed my worrying was spot on and she had horrible injuries, etc, etc.  Nope.  It turns out that she was screaming because when I called to say I was on my way, the teachers made her come in from outside play time to get ready to go - and she was PISSED.  After all of the worry, the Googling and everything, Phoebe was 100% fine (well, not from HER perspective since she missed out on the second half of outdoor time - that clearly was NOT FINE). 

The munchkin did end up with a big lump/bruise on her forehead and another bruise on her nose, but other than that she doesn't seem to be suffering any ill effects from her swan dive.  She certainly hasn't slowed down any ...

The bruise was hard to photograph, but you can kind of see it in this picture.  You'll have to take my word for it that it was quite impressive.

1 comment:

  1. I have a friend that refers to this stage as being on suicide watch, because "they just keep trying to kill themselves". It's totally accurate.

    ReplyDelete