Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Monday, July 25th (day 26/365): Making baby chicken, a photo essay for Hayley

My friend Hayley was asking about how I made Phoebe's (and Danger's) baby chicken.  Since I was making some more anyway, I thought I'd just take some pictures:

Baby's hungry!  Make me some chicken!

Step 1 is to gather your ingredients.  You will need one glass of wine (this is for you, not the baby) ...

... some chicken (this is about half a chicken breast, but it was a giant - definitely made me doubt the "no hormones/organic" designation), and a chicken-chopping device.  This chicken is also already cooked.  I steamed it.  The baby food site I read said that technically the chicken retains more vitamins if you bake it, but I figure I am making baby food rather than buying it, I'm not going to stress over it.  Also, most of it is going to end up smeared on the high chair or the floor.  I don't think my floor needs any more iron or Vitamin C.

You also need some water.  I usually just slop it in there until everything blends.  BUT I decided to get all scientific and measure it this time.  I started with one cup.
It is also useful to have an assistant.
Pour some of the water into the chicken and blend away.  You will probably need to stop occasionally to scrape down the sides of the pureeing device and to add more water.  I just kept blending until things looked liquefied.  This is gross.  You might need to refill your wine at this point.  You might be tempted to taste-test, I would recommend against this.  It tastes like chicken, but the texture is decidedly un-chicken-like.

Science results!  It looks like I used between a third and a half cup of water.

Chicken mixed with broccoli and cauliflower - all made from scratch with love.  Let's feed it to the baby!

No thanks!
Seriously?  I don't think so.

Why are you doing this to me?  Can't I just have some of those delicious puff things?  Or maybe a jar of squash?

Oh well, at least the cat cleaned his plate.
 
Not pictured?  The part where the motor in my mini food processor started to catch fire.  But I am pretty sure that step is optional.

No comments:

Post a Comment