Friday, October 29, 2010

Let's call him "Bob" *

* some names have been changed to protect the innocent

Over the summer, Jeremy and I decided we should start getting serious about being healthy.  We're not getting any younger, and it would be nice to be able to keep up with the baby when she gets mobile.   We've definitely made a lot of progress on the food front.  We're eating more fruits and veggies, we've cut out a lot of processed foods, and we've gotten much better about a lot of our food-habits.

Working out wasn't so easy.  I used to run, but getting pregnant kind of put a stop to that.  Jeremy helpfully pointed out an article about women who continue to train for marathons while pregnant, but let's just say I am not that motivated (actually I told Jeremy that I'd love to train for a marathon WITH him which pretty much put an end to that conversation).  I like hiking and walking but with  my schedule it is often dark when I leave the house and dark when I get home.   We could go to the gym, but having to drive somewhere to work out significantly increases the probability that we will end up deciding to stop for ice cream rather than actually hitting the gym. 

So, we decided we were in the market for some home exercise equipment.  In particular a knee-friendly elliptical trainer.  We certainly couldn't afford a brand-new one, so we started checking out Craig's List a couple of times a week.  Eventually an elliptical that was both one of our preferred brands and within our price range came up.  I emailed the guy who had listed it ("Bob") and he said that since he worked in Marina, he' just throw the elliptical in his truck so we could come check it out.

After a little back-and-forth it turns out that Bob works at the fire station in town.  Jeremy and I set off to meet him, expecting he'd be something like this (only a firefighter instead of a policeman):

I mean, the guy was SELLING his elliptical since he said he never used it.  It turns out Bob was selling his elliptical because he apparently doesn't NEED it.  Let's just say that if the local fire department ever decides to put out a fireman calendar, they could really clean up (if all the pictures were of Bob).  Not only that, but the guy was ridiculously nice.  He apologized profusely for calling us 15 minutes later than we had originally scheduled (he was busy putting out a fire) and he bought brand new batteries for the elliptical.  He also volunteered to drop the elliptical off at our house so we would have to try to cram it in our car and he said he'd help us move it in because he didn't want me to have to lift anything.  After we completed our transaction, Jeremy and I got back in the car.

To my credit, I did not say anything.  Jeremy started the conversation:
Jeremy: I did not know that men like that actually existed
Kate: (pretending not to understand) What do you mean?  Firefighters?
Jeremy: No - he is the best looking man I have ever seen in real life
Kate: I know ... I mean ... other than you sweetie
Jeremy:Whatever

The next morning (when his shift ended) Bob brought the elliptical over.  True to his word, he helped carry it in and set it up, making sure it was where we wanted it before he left.  Jeremy and I just looked at each other and were like "yep, he's still amazingly good looking". 

For the next week or so, Bob was kind of a running joke and he still comes up once and a while in conversation.  You know: "I bet Bob would do the dishes", "Bob wouldn't say something like that" - that kind of thing (from both of us mind you) :)  Now we're just fighting over who gets to take our car seat to the firehouse to get checked ....

No comments:

Post a Comment