Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Conversion?

Many of you know that I consider myself a bit of a connoisseur of office/school supplies.  Jeremy has another word for it, but I'll let him tell you all about the "trauma" he experienced during our first trip to Staples together - he loves to tell that story and I really don't do it justice (well, Jeremy thinks I don't do it justice - I just think I don't over-embellish)

Anyway, before Jeremy went back to school, we went supply shopping at the local Office Max.  To me, one of the huge benefits of engineering school is clearly all of the engineering-specific school supplies.  Since Jeremy is a newcomer to the field, I tried to offer my expert advice, but he was a bit skeptical.  He poo-pooed many of my recommendations and used a variety of increasingly disparaging adjectives to describe each new suggestion.  One thing that I insisted on was that he purchase a pad of green, quad-ruled engineering paper.  He was appalled that I would insist on FOUR DOLLAR PAPER when there was perfectly good 95 cent paper but I think he eventually caved just so I would let him leave the store.

Well, long story short Mr. Isn't-all-paper-the-same has been doing his homework on the engineering paper all week.  AND the other day he came home from class and said "you were right - everyone has the special paper".  Really - a judgment call involving the combination engineering school AND office supplies - and you thought I would lead you astray?

I think we may have a convert on our hands.

Now he is complaining that he has completely worn out the eraser on his mechanical pencil.  I think someone recommended that we invest in a click eraser and refills, but I could be wrong ... (lucky for Jeremy I have a spare).

3 comments:

  1. As one of the other engineers in the family, I can certainly support the assertion that engineers always know best and should always be listened too by everyone else. You would have thought that with all the years of being around my giving advise Jeremy would have learned that about engineers.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of the time I took Jeremy to IKEA (I was paying) prior to his moving into his own apartment.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeremy, you may be a convert but grasshopper you have aisles and aisles to go before you will be in the same office supply league as your wife and father-in-law! I imagine if Alan gets around to shopping for the new little princess she will be getting mechanical pencils and lead refills as gifts. Weren't you even a little surprised when the ultrasounds didn't show your child frantically scribbling on post-it notes with a mechanical pencil while swilling expresso? My day is coming though and I can't wait to take her shoe shopping!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete