Friday, September 24, 2010

You Pass Some, You Fail Some ....

The NP from our doctor's office called with the results of my bloodwork.  The good news is that I passed the glucose tolerance test!  Yippee!  No gestational diabetes for me.  Most importantly I don't have to take the second round glucose challenge test.  The test consisted of chugging a sugar drink with 50g of sugar and then sitting around for an hour (during which you can't eat anything or even have a drink of water) and then they take your blood.  The drink was pretty gross and they make you drink it pretty fast.  However, the worst part of the test was sitting around the lab for an hour.  It turns out Saturday morning must be when all the crazy people show up for their lab work.  Call me anti-social, but at 9am on a Saturday morning I am not really keen on complete strangers asking if I want to see their scars/rashes and./or discussing how there is some vast hospital conspiracy to steal our identities and that is why the nurse asks you for your social security number.  Good times. 

I also passed my blood antibody test, so that means that even if baby Bagel has a different Rh factor in her blood, my immune system hasn't picked up on that yet.  We go back to the doctor next Friday for our 28 week check up, so that is when I should get the shot that will make sure no antibodies develop during the rest of the pregnancy.  It will be nice to have one less thing to worry about!

Sadly, I failed the hemoglobin test, so I've developed a bit of pregnancy-related anemia.  We knew this was a possibility since I've had some issues with anemia before and we really don't eat much red meat at all.  This, luckily has a relatively easy fix.  I just need to take some over the counter iron pills for the next few months.  No big deal.  Overall the test results were really good news!

In other news, we're starting to get our ducks in a row for getting Bagel taken care of when I have to go back to work.  Last week a group of my colleagues offered to donate their unused sick time to me so that I could extend my maternity leave through the end of the spring semester.  It turns out that HR won't allow that, but I was really touched by the offer.  We feel pretty lucky that after only being here for a year, we have so many good friends that are excited for us and for the baby. 

Since I only have so much sick time/maternity leave, Bagel will end up in daycare a couple of days a week starting when she is about three months old.  I am obviously a little nervous about leaving our baby with strangers, but as Jeremy points out, I don't even like to leave the cats.  We visited the daycare that we'll probably end up using on Monday and it was pretty amazing.  Everyone there was really nice and really involved with the kids.  Each baby gets their own dedicated crib and there are lots of activities for even the youngest kids.  We only saw one or two of the babies frantically trying to make a break for it, so we figured that was a good sign.  They also have an amazing playground and all of the kids get outside either to play or take a walk at least once a day.  Now our biggest worry is that Bagel will like it there so much that she'll never want to come home :)

Of course the one problem with daycare is the waitlist.  we assumed we were totally on top of things because heck - our baby isn't even here yet - we won't need care until the last week of March.  It turns out that we only have a "pretty good chance" of being "close to the top of the list" by March.  Yikes!  We're keeping our fingers crossed that it all works out.  Otherwise we'll have to find a temporary solution until a spot opens up.  Luckily working on a college campus means there are lots of potential babysitters nearby. 

No comments:

Post a Comment