Saturday, September 18, 2010

Test Time

This morning I am up bright and early to head over to the hospital for my glucose tolerance test - do I know how to have fun on the weekend or what!  This is a standard second-trimester test to make sure I'm not developing gestational diabetes.  Jeremy was really worried I was going to have to fast before the test and was trying to come up with an excuse to be out of town so that he didn't have to drive a hungry/grumpy Kate to the lab.  Luckily, the first round of the test doesn't require a fast, so he is off the hook - he gets to sleep in. 

I also have to get another blood-type test.  I'm AB- and Jeremy is A+.  Since I am Rh- and there is a possibility that the baby is Rh+ we have to periodically test to make sure that my blood isn't developing antibodies to Rh+ stuff.  At our next doctor's appointment, I'll get a shot to make sure that I don't develop any antibodies during the rest of the pregnancy.  It is one of those things that isn't dangerous for this baby, but if I develop antibodies now and we end up having another baby, it could be bad for that baby.  Jeremy claims that this one is all my fault because he is the one with "normal blood" and I have the "freak blood" given that his blood type is much more common than mine.  I claim I'm just special, but I don't think he's buying it :)

2 comments:

  1. Close call Jeremy! I love your wife but can well understand your fear of being in a contained space with her when she is either tired or hungry. However, I'm sure that her blood type is probably common to the royal line not "freaky". What until you have two Princesses to appease!

    Kate, I hope the test went well. Did you have a special diet before or did you have to drink the sweet stuff? I hope Baby Girl Gottwood is doing well. Can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate blood tests, but will have some coming up soon for the annual tune-up.

    Glad to hear everything is going along well. Take care out there.

    ReplyDelete