Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Christmas Cookies

"Christmas Cookies" might seem like an odd title for a blog post in the middle of March, even  more so when I admit these photos are of cookie decorating in 2012. I am going through the pictures on our camera little by little in an attempt to organize them and to make it easier to share them with family and friends. I am still trying to figure out the best method for sharing, but for now I have a shared Flickr site. If anyone has any other suggestions, let me know.  I was swayed by the free terabyte of storage :)  As I slog through the photos, I'll post some of them here too.

Back to cookies ... Christmas cookie decorating was always a fun family event for the Lockwoods and that's a tradition I'd like to continue with our girls. We didn't get around to doing cookies in 2013 (I'm using the new baby excuse for that one), but we went all out in 2012. We had the neighbors over and let the three kids go to town with sprinkles and frosting. The results were pretty much what you could expect - lots of licking of fingers, knives, etc and we had to wash the kitchen floor about 20 times to get the last of the sprinkles up. It was definitely worth it though and the kids had a great time.

At first, Phoebe wasn't too into the whole thing

Ian was pretty serious and was very careful with his decorating

Emilio's technique was more free-form

Phoebe finally got in on the action



The artist at work

Cleaning fingers between cookies

Getting serious about maximum frosting in minimum time

The sweet results

I am looking forward to 2014 cookie decorating, and am hoping we can have Gramma Joyce come help us out! Uncle John would be welcome too, as long as he promises not to repeat the "anatomically-correct gingerbread man incident of 1998". I really do love cookie decorating, and hope that we'll be able to make some fun family traditions around the holidays as our girls get older. I have some of my Grandma's old cookie cutters, and this will be the first year I use them to make our cookies so this year's decorating will be especially sentimental.

No comments:

Post a Comment