Friday, August 28, 2009

Road Trip, Day 3: Rocky Mountain National Park

I spent Wednesday in Boulder where the Bourlands and I trekked up to Rocky Mountain National Park.

On the original drive to California, there wasn't much in the way of what one expects with mountains. Wyoming and Utah were pretty, but it was largely a high plateau.

RMNP was mountains! We drove up this one-way, narrow gravel road that is only open about 3-4 months a year. My mother said that she and my dad visited the park one June or July and this particular road was closed.

As harrowing as it was, it was definitely worth the trek.

Here is Matthew and Leona in the back of the car. She seems pretty excited by all the scenery. She was much more excited by the cheddar goldfish that were in the car with me.

This gives you a pretty good sense of the drop-off from the road we were on. Jessica was kindly taking pictures out the window and sun roof.

The road takes you up to the Alpine station in the park. This is the view from a little higher up the hill than the station. That little brown strip on the bottom right is the road.

From the station you can hike up a "small" hill to get to 12,000 feet. We had to stop twice for breaks because I was sucking wind in the altitude. Matthew and I had figured out that we hadn't seen each other in about 7 years. He looks exactly the same. I've put on about 20 pounds since then. I need to hit the gym more in California.

The view over the other side of the hill was worth it, though.

If anything, the ride back down on the paved road was even more harrowing, but just as scenic.
Elk!


The road back home.

Dinner with Leona. She ate my bread.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks similar to the picture of you with your 9 week old nephew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interestingly enough, Kate said the same thing.
    This was more a function of the fact that Jess was having a hard time with the camera on my phone, and I didn't know exactly when she was taking the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I laughed with I saw this picture! Even with your explanation it appears that you are holding you breath in anticipation of the little creature turning on you once she has finished your bread.

    The pictures of the park are amazing. My only experience with the west was flying into Sacramento for a conference.

    ReplyDelete