Friday, November 26, 2010

28 days and Thanksgiving report

Yesterday for Thanksgiving we took it easy and enjoyed both of us having a day off together - today the chores begin.  Our Thanksgiving was pretty uneventful - we went and saw the new Harry Potter movie and then we went out for dinner.  One problem with living in a more suburban/small town area is that not a lot is open on Thanksgiving.  We assumed it would be easy to find a restaurant, but we ended up driving around a little bit until we found a place that was open.  It didn't look promising, but the food was actually great - we were able to get a traditional Thanksgiving hummus and falafel combo :)

After dinner we decided to try to find some place with pumpkin pie.  I am sure you all know how seriously Jeremy takes his pie - and due to his self-proclaimed "pie-dar" we were easily able to find a place that was both open and serving pie.  When our pie arrived it was really cold and runny - we had the following conversation

K: I don't think this is right - it is really runny
J: They served it with spoons I am sure it is just some new kind of pumpkin pie
J: It is delicious - can't you taste the nutmeg?
K: I don't know ...
J: It is really good and it has whipped cream on it - why would they put whipped cream on an undercooked pie?
K: Well ... ok ...
[I figured that we were talking about pie, so I really should defer to the expert here - especially since he was so sure that he was right - I took a couple of bites of pie soup]
K: I really think that the pie isn't supposed to be like this ... I think I'm going to ask someone
J: [Clearly annoyed at my pie ignorance and worried that I will embarrass him in the restaurant] Ok, if you want to ask, go ahead - but it is delicious [continues to eat runny pie]
K: What if there are uncooked eggs and I get sick - that would be bad for the baby
J: [Puts down his spoon] We should ask

At this point we call over a waitress and ask - she states the obvious that no the pie is not supposed to be runny, it is undercooked, and apologizes profusely.  We get new pie.

J: Oh my gosh, I will feel horrible if the baby gets sick
K: Um, what about me? 
J: I feel so bad, I can't believe I almost poisoned our BABY. 
K: Again, I could point out that you almost poisoned YOUR WIFE
J: You'd get over it.  But the baby ...

Anyway, it all worked out in the end because we didn't end up with food poisoning and we got free pie.  However, I'm a little worried about the total lack of concern about potential wife poisoning :)

Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving and also avoided death by pie.

5 comments:

  1. Well at least Jeremy put fear of poisoning the baby ahead of pie! Guess you will have to settle for third place Kate. Just think, if it also included the cats' health you could have plummeted to fifth place. Count your blessings!

    Glad to know that you enjoyed Thanksgiving. Next year Bagel will be here to celebrate with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeremy is demonstrating the well established Gottlieb family trait: we are always certain that we are right and know what we are talking about. Subsequent events do not affect our continuing demonstration of this inherent trait. Way to go Jeremy, a chip off the old block.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I have to say is that the pie soup was quite tasty, if a bit runny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regarding Paul's comment, just think of the traits Bagel may be inheriting because both her parents have them. She will probably be opinionated, determined, smart, and funny. Maybe she will grow up thinking that board games are contact sports, pie is a food group, one can never have too many cats, problem sets are entertainment, ultimate frisbee is an important collegiate sport, the loudest person in an argument is correct, one child per family is more than enough and one should never be far from electronics. Too bad Jeremy doesn't appreciate shoes but then maybe the shoe gene is dominant not recessive! Please, please, please let her have a strong sense of direction!!!!!!! Jeremy, this last one falls to you because no one wants Bagel to be taught north, south, east and west by Kate (I imagine she will roll her eyes and say "Whatever" when she reads this).

    I know you are not sharing your choice in names but consider her initials when deciding especially if her middle name starts with a vowel. I have thought of some very unfortunate combinations. Sorry to bring it up because once you start thinking about it you can't stop. It's like hearing It's a Small World and the song gets stuck in your head.

    Your pumpkin soup story reminded me of the year Gram forgot to put sugar in the pumpkin pies. Everyone thought the pie tasted strange but no one wanted to say anything. I think people just added extra whipped cream to their serving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanksgiving dinner sounded great. I worked Thanksgiving where they catered in a traditional dinner of mostaciolli, salad, mixed vegetables, and something else I can't remember. After work, Bonnie, Matt, and I had dinner at Pete's Garage. They actually worked up a very good dinner. We had large servings of turkey, dressing, and mashed potatoes (it probably resulted from them not wanting a bunch of leftovers aroud). We finished off with traditional pumpking pie. I never thought to ask if pumpking pie soup was available. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete