Thursday, August 26, 2010

Four Months to Go!

This Tuesday was August 24.  Given that baby Bagel is due to arrive on December 24 that gives us about four months to get ready.  Yikes!  While we're making slow and steady progress on getting baby stuff together it still seems like December will be here before we know it.  And while the nursery is starting to come together, sometimes it is hard to image that there will be a real live baby in there before we know it.  Jeremy looked at me the other day and said "They are going to let us bring that baby home.  It will be in our house ... forever".  Actually, we really hope that Bagel goes to college and gets a job and doesn't necessarily live at home forever, but the point was well taken.  We are about to become responsible for a whole extra person.

Bagel has started to move around more which is a lot of fun.  Jeremy has gotten to feel her kick a few times which is cool.  Of course it is also a little weird to think there's something alive, moving around in there.  Jeremy likes to draw a comparison to the movie Alien where at one point a live alien bursts out of Sigourney Weaver's abdomen.  Every week we read the online updates of what Bagel is up to in terms of development.  Most of the entries compare the size of the baby to a vegetable - this week I think we're up to the length of the baby being roughly the length of an ear of corn. 

Not too much else going on around here.  Jeremy was sick at the beginning of the week, but he's doing much better now.  It was either food poisoning or the stomach flu, so he's pretty glad to be on the mend.  I started school, so I've been really busy with all the first week craziness.  Students only have two weeks after the start of school to add/drop classes, so there is always a flurry of frantic students needing advising appointments.  This semester I am teaching all of my classes on Tuesday and Thursday (one of them also has a class on Friday).  It is a great schedule because Monday and Wednesday are completely free for meetings, doctor's appointments and getting caught up on grading.  The downside is that my Tuesdays and Thursdays are long and busy.  My last class ends at 7:00pm. 

As much work as it is, I enjoy having the students back.  We really have a great group of students here and I really like that this year I already know some of them.  It is definitely a benefit of being at a smaller school that I get to know a lot of the students and I see them in multiple classes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment