Saturday, January 19, 2013

Ba Ba Black Sheep

Phoebe has really gotten into singing (and dancing) lately. We almost always have to have music on in the background and she is able to sing along with most of her favorite tunes. She's also started singing along with bedtime songs which I think kind of defeats the purpose - she's clearly not drifting off to sleep while belting out "Blowing in the Wind". Phoebe never really quite knows all the words (or the tune) to the songs she is singing, but what she lacks in musical ability she makes up for in enthusiasm. All day today she's been working on her rendition of Ba Ba Black Sheep. This performance was done while climbing all over her tower.


Musical talent doesn't exactly run in either of our families, and Phoebe's current singing ability is just about on par with mine. One thing that makes me a little sad is to think that (given her hereditary disposition towards not being able to carry a tune in a bucket) some day someone might discourage Phoebe from singing or make fun of her about not being able to carry a tune. I know I am a crappy singer, but I hope the love with which I sing lullabies and the joy with which I join campfire sing-a-longs makes up for that at least a little bit. The little doodle-bug clearly LOVES music - regardless of whether she ever develops any talent. I hope she goes right on singing. Even if it means I'll hear Ba Ba Black Sheep for hours on end.  I might even join in.

1 comment:

  1. There's a lot of musical talent in my father's family going back at least five generations that I know of. I'm glad to know it has been passed on to another generation.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete