Thursday, February 10, 2011

6 Weeks!

Today is Phoebe's six week birthday.  We've heard from a lot of folks that at six weeks things start to get a little better.  We're a little skeptical given that right now Jeremy is in the bathroom bouncing the baby on the yoga ball (in the bathroom because she likes the noise of the fan).  Anyway, it would be great if there was an improvement in the screaming situation, but we're not holding our breath!

Since it has been six weeks since Phoebe was born, I also had my post-baby visit with my doctor this week.  The good news is I am back to my pre-pregnancy weight.  I am calling my new weight loss regime the "You scream, I scream, but nobody eats ice cream" diet.  You just need to cut out all dairy and simultaneously have a ridiculously fussy baby who requires you to constantly be bouncing/rocking/etc.  Sadly, my pre-pregnancy weight was a little higher than I'd like due to the crazy four-class semester, so I still have about 5-10 or 15 pounds that I'd like to lose, but I'll take what I can get!

In other news, Phoebe took her first road trip this weekend.  We went up to Palo Alto to watch the Superbowl with our friends Geoff and Kristen (and Leslie who drove up with us from Monterey).  Phoebe was on her best behavior during the game and actually was pretty well behaved in the car as well.  I guess she was just really excited about the game (although she slept through most of it).   Geoff and Kristen have a 16 month old little boy, so it was really cool to see him walking and talking - babies change so much so quickly!  Here is a picture of their little guy being grabbed as he was running towards a sleeping Phoebe with a spoon full of guacamole.  While we applaud his generous spirit, we had to explain that babies can't really eat guacamole at six weeks :)






Probably the most exciting thing that happened at the Superbowl is that we ran out of gas on the way home.  In retrospect it is a little funny because we were actually in the middle of a conversation about how Jeremy is absent-minded when the engine skipped and he realized the car was out of gas.  I'll skip over the details, but I'll just say that Progressive insurance is great!  Their roadside assistance guy showed up within an hour, and all we had to pay for was the gas.  We also owe a huge thanks to our local friends that drove 20 minutes each way to come pick up Leslie, Phoebe and me while Jeremy waited for roadside assistance.  It was cold and dark, so we were very grateful for the rescue.  When I told my brother this story he said "How could Jeremy run out of gas?  Doesn't he have a wife to nag him abut filling up the tank?".  I guess I've been slacking :)

Phoebe has been a bit of a stinker this week.  On Tuesday I took an infant massage class.  During the class, there was soft music playing and all of the other babies were peacefully enjoying their rub-downs ... not Phoebe.  Phoebe spent most of the two hour class screaming at the top of her lungs.  I finally took her outside so that the other babies could get some peace and quiet.  I just have to say that if I was getting a two hour massage, my reaction would not be to scream at the top of my lungs.  Next time we'll have to take the class where the babies learn to massage the parents. 

Wednesday, during our regular baby playgroup, the same thing happened.  Non-stop screaming.  I figure that I provide a type of public service: all of the other moms go home feeling waaaaaay better about their babies after spending two hours with Phoebe. 

Here is a picture of Jeremy soothing the savage beast:


He is bouncing her on the yoga ball - we spend many many hours on the yoga ball.  Here Jeremy attempts to feed the baby without taking her out of the carrier:


I am pretty sure this is not an American Academy of Pediatrics approved feeding position, but I'm certainly not going to argue with someone else taking care of the baby for a while :) 

I know we complain a lot, but Phoebe really does have her adorable moments.  She is getting more alert by the day and she has started to smile more frequently.  She has regular awake periods during the day where she is not actively fussy (this is a new development).  Here is a picture of Phoebe helping me with the laundry:


It is never to early for chores!

5 comments:

  1. Running out of gas is not a new experience for Jeremy. I rememeber when he called me from a friends house to tell me the car wouldn't start and he and a bunch of other people at the scene had decided there was a major mechanical problem. I arrived on the scene and determined rather quickly that there was no gas in the car and that is why the car wouldn't start. Another great picture of Phoebe.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, I admire the way you've kept your sense of humor through this. I know I didn't keep mine with Jeremy!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, how many times exactly has Jeremy run out of gas? Because I can think of at least one and possibly three.

    Anyway, I was actually commenting to say how adorable Phoebe is. I mean really. She is right up there with Miss Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So there's the time in high school my dad referenced, the time in Indiana when I was driving from Maryland to Carleton, the time with Peil outside Omaha, the time with Kate in Kenosha, and now this time.

    Those are the only ones I can think of. Which other ones are you thinking of, Liz?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul, yeah, I long ago had to come to terms with the fact that Jeremy does not believe in gas gauges - this was the second time he's run out of gas while I was a passenger :)

    Thank you Linda! We try to keep our sense of humor as best we can but we definitely have our humorless moments.

    Thank you Liz! We certainly think she's a cutie. Or as Jeremy says, she's just cute enough to keep us from actually feeding her to the coyotes.

    ReplyDelete