Friday, September 18, 2009

Happy New Year!

Shana Tova to all of our Jewish friends and family! Happy 5770!

Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish new year celebration begins tonight at sundown. The Gottwoods will not be celebrating this year because the one of us that is actually Jewish was completely unaware of his upcoming High Holiday until he flipped through the complementary calendar he received for being on the waiting list for Bears season tickets.

However, preparations are already well underway for the annual observance of National Cookie Month in October. I, for one, was completely unaware of the deep religious significance of National Cookie Month until I was informed by my husband. I have been informed that the fate of our souls is dependent on the quantity and variety of cookies consumed in the month of October. I clearly have much to learn about Jeremy's faith.

8 comments:

  1. As one of the guiding lights in Jeremy's upbringing, I can asure everyone that Judaism does not celebrate October as cookie month, unless there is a different sect of jews west of the Rockies who picked up paganist tendencies from the waters of the pacific. I think Jeremy is confised with the eight day holiday in December known as Hannukuh when MOM makes Xmas cookies. The old man

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not confused.

    http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=179634

    December 1 is National Pie Day and December 25 is National Pumpkin Pie Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as I can tell, Jeremy's branch of Judaism seems to consist entirely of insisting he is "the chosen people" and eating cookies. Every time I question his interpretation of the Torah, he says "don't disagree with the chosen people". Hard to argue with that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Jeremy's excitement and enthusiasm every year as Cookie Month approached. I bet he is counting down the days and making his wish list. Maybe Kate should start practicing now so she is up to speed when October 1st arrives! I can't imagine why Hallmark hasn't developed a line of greeting cards in observance of Cookie Month but they seem to overlook a lot of important events such as National Pumpkin Day, National Pie Day, etc. I am going to do a Google search in hopes that there is a National Chocolate Day or better yet a National Chocolate Month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somehow my comment on RH and cookies is under "Quarantine."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie: I need to know more about this Cookie Month thing so I can put in an order with Gram.

    Uncle Lee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uncle Lee -
    October is national cookie month. You are apparently supposed to celebrate by eating as many cookies as possible. I guess the Presbyterians haven't started celebrating yet :) Actually, this year it looks like everyone is getting in on the fun (Jeremy is such a trend setter) http://news.prnewswire.com/DisplayReleaseContent.aspx?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/09-16-2009/0005095207&EDATE=

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kate: We will be getting a new minister soon, but not in time for this celebration. I may be able to get them on board for next year though

    ReplyDelete